SoM1-SoC is an innovative system-on-module that uses the Microchip PolarFire SoC FPGA, which combines a low-power FPGA with a 64-bit, Linux-capable RISC-V processor. This module offers a high level of security, performance, and efficiency for embedded systems development. SoM1-SoC is populated with an MPFS460T-1FCVG1152E device which has 461K logic cells, 20 high-speed transceivers, two PCIe hard blocks, 136 MSS IOs, 180 HSIO, and 288 GPIOs. The MSS IOs are connected to DDR4, eMMC, and ETH PHY Devices. The HSIO and GPIO pins are routed to connectors, DDR4, and SPI flash. The MPFS460T PolarFire SoC provides abundant resources to meet the needs of complex embedded systems:
- 4GB 32-bit wide DDR4-3200 providing memory to the MSS (MT40A1G16TB-062EIT DDR4)
- 8GB 64-bit wide DDR4-3200 for additional FPGA memory (MT40A1G16TB-062EIT DDR4)
- 16GB eMMC 5.1 flash storage
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet PHY with RGMII interface
When populated with the MPFS250T-FCVG1152E device, it will have 254K logic cells, 16 high-speed transceivers, two PCIe hard blocks, 136 MSS IOs, 144 HSIOs, and 228 GPIOs. The MSS I/Os remain the same between the two devices. The device package is FCVG1152 with speed grade -1. The SoM1-SoC is one of the most feature-rich SOCs ever to be available on the market. It can be used stand-alone by simply plugging a USB-C cable into the device which acts as both a power supply, UART, JTAG, and highspeed data transfers to a host system. Additionally, a Harting iX industrial ethernet connector providing 1Gbps networking is installed on the module along with 2 RGB LEDs for user applications. When installed on an SE301, the feature set is expanded even further allowing the device to access a FMC HPC connector, 4 lanes of PCIe, highspeed networking via SFP+, a Display port for terminal output, SATA for data storage, and a robust inter-module connection featuring 4 transceivers and a multitude of GPIO.
- PolarFire SOC FPGA from Microsemi MPFS460T-1FCVG1152 with an option to install an MPFS250T-1FCVG1152 with fewer resources.
- 4 GB of 32-bit wide DDR4 memory (MT40A1G16TB-062EIT DDR4) for the MSS;
- 8 GB of 64-bit bus DDR4 memory (MT40A1G16TB-062EIT DDR4) for the FPGA fabric;
- 128MB SPI Serial NOR FLASH connected to FPGA fabric for user application storage;
- Programmable clocks using – SI5341A – provide flexible clocking to FPGA and High-Speed transceivers;
- 20 High-speed low-power Transceivers from 250Mbps – 12.7Gbps;
- IO’s via high-speed Samtec connectors (ADM6-100-01.5-L-4-2-TR);
- The module includes 16GByte of eMMC storage for Linux image storage and user applications;
- SPI interface from FPGA routed to high-speed Samtec connector;
- Built-in FPGA internal oscillator for configuration and other purposes;
- On board XO 25MHz ±10ppm stability over temperature, as a reference;
- USB type C connector with JTAG/UART bridge interface, and power;
- Industrial iX connector ND9AS1200 for 1Gbit Ethernet connection;
- Power IN 5V and Banks VCCO via ADM6 connectors when used with a carrier or power via USB type C when operating as a standalone;
- Mechanical dimensions are 85x65mm;
- The power consumption of the module is 15W+ depending on PL design used;
- Temperature range is 0°C to +70°C for extended temp and -30 to 85 for industrial grade.
Note that the memory device used could be different from what is specified above due to availability.
IP Cores / Drivers / BSP
A full BSP including Buildroot Linux for the RISC V subsystem is included. If the SE301 carrier is used then the host-side Linux and Windows drivers are also supplied.
where YYY can be 250 or 460 representing MPFS250T in the FCVG1152 package or MPFS460T in the FCVG1152 package. Default is 460
where X can be E or I representing Extended or Industrial temperature grade. Default is -E
All SoM1-SoCs are built with -1 speed grade components. Contact us if another speed grade is required.