The VCS² is a PC104 Linux stack composed of 2 main components, namely the EMC² board which is a PCIe/104 OneBank™ carrier for a Trenz compatible SoC Module and the FM192 I/O expansion card. Designed to fan out the FMC-LPC connector I/Os to four DB9 connectors and one SEIC connector, the FM912-R provides wireless connectivity via WiFi + BLE and 4G + GNSS/GPS modules. 3x antenna connectors (2x for the 4G + GNSS/GPS and 1x WiFi + BLE) are provided for connecting 3x external antennas. Furthermore, the FM192-R provides an IMU sensor, CAN BUS, humidity and temperature sensor and Audio I/O.
Optionally, 4x USB3.0 and 40x pin General Propose Input/Output (GPIO) can be added using the FM192-U expansion board via the SEIC connector.
The SoC provides standard connectivity (e.g. SPI, RS232, I2C, USB, GigE, PCIe, etc), ARM-based processing which is used to run Ubuntu Linux OS and ROS Melodic, memory interfaces and Programmable Logic used for Hardware acceleration and GPIO. The SoC can either be Xilinx Zynq 7 Series (Dual Core ARM Cortex A9) or Xilinx MPSoC Zynq Ultrascale+ (Quad Core ARM Cortex A53).
A Xilinx Zynq MPSoC is the ‘heart’ of the VCS² and provides 64-bit processor scalability while combining real-time control with soft and hard engines for graphics, video, waveform, and FPGA acceleration, using a Trenz TE0820 SoM.
The versatility of the VCS² system is derived from the modular concept of the SoM processing element on a PC/104 board, combined with a separate I/O Module. This gives it plenty of ADC, DAC, I/O and expansion possibilities with PC/104 options.
- FMC LPC connector with I/O and single high-speed serial.
- Single +5 (external ATX connector MOLEX part 8991) for powering external sensors via the DB9 connectors.
- 100-way SEIC peripheral interface connector.
- 12x analogue inputs 3V TTL, with a resolution of 12-bits@2kSPS via 2x DB9 (J6-J8).
- 8x analogue outputs 3V TTL, with a resolution of 24-bits@2kSPS via 1x DB9 (J9).
- IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi + Bluetooth Low Energy V4
- 4G + GNSS/GPS
- 2x CAN BUS via 1x DB9 (J4).
- IMU sensor
- Humidity and Temperature sensor.
- Audio I/O
- Optional 4x USB3.0 connections available via the expansion FM191-U board.
- Optional 26x single-ended digital I/Os 5V TTL 40-pin via the expansion FM192-U board.
- 3 x ADS122U04IPWR a precision, 24-bit, analog-to-digital converter (ADC)
- DAC60508ZRTET eight-channel digital-to-analogue converter (DAC)