The DX-4400 is a high performance low latency single/dual channel SD/HD/2K/4K-SDI Video Text and Graphics Overlay Inserter supporting alpha blended text overlay / on screen display (OSD) on progressive, progressive segmented frame (PsF) and interlaced SD, HD, FHD, 2K, UHD 4K and Digital Cinema (DCI) 4K video formats.
An integrated ARM SoC supports enhanced text, image and graphics overlay, line/circle drawing and rotations. Up to 1,000 independent text fields, images and graphic elements can be overlaid (inserted) onto the video stream. An extensive command set allows for full control of size, font type, color, position, background color and full transparency control. The overlay data and user commands are delivered to the unit through the RS-232 (DB9 or USB) serial ports or via a TCP Ethernet connection. A Web user interface is available for configuration, management, maintenance and control.
The product passes all video content* (on the primary video input) including audio channels and embedded metadata. Either SDI input can be used for PIP and for a scaled dual (side-by-side) display. Secondary SDI outputs provide a clean loop pass-thru output of each input.
Modes of Operation
The unit has several user selectable Modes of operation, each offering a different set of features and functionalities.
NOTE: Based on customer feedback, additional Modes of operation are being added via firmware updates.
Dual Channel Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
In this mode the product provides 2 video channels with separate text and graphics overlays for each channel. Each channel supports the SD, HD, and 3G video resolutions (listed below) complete with Ancillary (ANC) data pass through.
Low Latency Dual Channel Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
This mode also offers a low latency setting in which the video path has 1 to 2 lines of frame of delay. In this configuration, zoom, Alpha Blending and PiP functions are not supported.
Zoom Dual Channel Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
This offers a zoom control for each channel for progressive video formats at SD, HD & FHD video resolutions. Ancillary data pass-through is not supported.
PiP Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
This mode provides a single channel text inserter with a main input and a secondary input. Both inputs have scaling capabilities to allow for use as Picture in Picture (PiP), split screen or side by side configurations. The unit has a single text and graphics overlay and supports the SD, HD, and 3G modes listed in the product specifications. Ancillary data from input 1 passes through the unit to the output.
Low-latency PiP Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
This is a low-latency version of the PiP Text Overlay Inserter with less than one frame of delay from input to output. Input 1 does not support PiP or Zoom. Input 2 supports PiP and zoom. ANC data pass-through is supported on Input 1.
Dual Link 4K Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
The unit provides a Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter for one channel of 4K video transported in the SMPTE dual-link (Quad and 2SI mapped) mode of operation. ANC data pass-through is NOT supported.
Low Latency Dual Link 4K Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
The unit provides a low-latency Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter with only 1 to 2 lines of frame delay for one channel of 4K video transported in the SMPTE dual-link mode of operation. Ancillary data pass-through is supported in this configuration.
Zoom Dual Link 4K Text & Graphics Overlay Inserter
The unit provides a single channel text & graphics overlay for 4K (Quad or 2SI mapped) dual-link video. For 2SI mapped video, the input video can be digitally zoomed. me delay for one channel of 4K video transported in the SMPTE dual-link mode of operation. ANC data pass-through is supported.
NOTE: 4K support is a product license upgrade to the base 2K product.
- Supports live text insertion on interlaced, progressive segmented frame (PsF) and progressive video streams
- SDI video overlay of text, images and software generated graphics
- Alpha blending overlay of text, images and graphics
- Dynamic positioning and rotation of overlay fields
- Supports text scrolling and crawling for news-feed applications
- Scaling of text and graphic images
- Integrated real-time clock with support for NTP & PTP time protocols for time & date applications
- Output video clock frequency is locked to input
- Programmable Frame Delay Compensation: 1-20 frames of delay
- Digital zoom (video scaling) of PiP input
- User configurable frame delay compensation (1-20 frames)
- Video frame capture
- Supports the Qt Meta Language (QML) for enhancing user interface-centric applications
- Web User Interface for configuration, management and control
Supported Video Formats
SD, HD and 2K SDI:
- NTSC 480i @ 29.97 frames per sec (fps)
- PAL 576i @ 25 fps
- 720p @ 25 / 29.97 / 30 / 50 / 59.94 / 60 fps
- 1080i & 1080 PsF @ 23.97 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 /50 /60 fps
- 1920x1080p @ 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 / 50 / 60fps
- 2048x1080p @ 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 / 50 fps
- UHD 4K: 3840x2160p @ 23.97 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 fps
- DCI 4K: 4096x2160p @ 23.97 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 fps
*Note, 4K support is a product upgrade to the base product.
- Two 75Ω SD – 3G SDI inputs
- Two 75Ω SD – 3G SDI overlay outputs
- Two 75Ω SD – 3G SDI Loop pass-thru outputs
Other User Port Interfaces
- RS-232 DB9 Serial & USB Serial
- USB OTG & Ethernet
- Supports* ancillary and VBI content including audio channels and embedded metadata on the main SDI feed
- Optional VBI line insertion capability. (Contact Microtronix Sales with your application requirements.)
- Micro SD card storage of user configuration, text fields, images (PNG, JPG, JPEG, BMP etc.) and graphic elements
- Auto system recovery after power-off
- Firmware upgradable via serial or Ethernet ports
*Note, not all features are supported across all video formats.
Power & Mechanical
- Power Adapter: regulated 12VDC @ 2.5A 110/240VAC adapter
- Mechanical: 172mm x 146mm x 38mm (DxWxH)
- 1-year factory replacement policy
The DX-4400 is designed for use in broadcast, professional video recording, information displays, surveillance, security and embedded applications requiring live text and graphic overlay with no degradation of the video content. Applications include:
- Broadcast facilities
- Professional video recording systems
- Live SD/HD/FHD/2K/4K information systems
- Embedded real-time video applications:
- Military displays,
- Scientific, T&M data collection and transportation system,
- GPS, NTP/PTP clock and graphic overlay applications, and
- Weather / sport information system.
Alpha-blended overlay of computer-generated graphics using transparency
In this example a video source connects to SDI 1 on the DX-4400 and a computer generated overlay layer connects to SDI 2. The overlay is generated on a black background and the DX-4400 is configured to display the overlay layer on top of the main video with the black background treated as transparent.
Scrolling / crawling newsfeed with time, date and logo overlay
The following example uses QML scripting to overlay time, date and a scrolling newsfeed from a RSS source. A graphic logo is displayed in the top right corner.
OEM Embedded Applications
The product is optionally available to OEM’s as an open frame printed circuit board for incorporation into embedded video systems.
The DX-4400 product includes:
- DX-4400 – SDI Text & Graphic Overlay Inserter product
- 120/240VAC – 12VDC/2.5A Power Adapter
- USB 2.0 to DB9 RS-232 Serial Port Adapter Kit
- Micro-SD card
- User Manual (on CD)
- PN: DX-4400-TI-2K; SD/HD/2K-SDI Text & Graphic Inserter with PIP OSD & SDI Loop Output with 2K support
- PN: DX-4400-TI-4K; SD/HD/4K-SDI Text & Graphic Inserter with PIP OSD, SDI Loop Output with 2K & 4K support (firmware)